- Calories: 372
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Sodium: 314mg
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
Blueberry Lattice Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 12 Tbsp (1-1/2 sticks) cold trans fat free margarine, cut into bits
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 pints blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp trans fat free margarine
- Make crust: In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, salt and baking powder, and stir well. Add margarine and, with your fingertips, rub margarine into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and egg whites, and pour over the flour and margarine mixture. Stir with a fork until a dough just forms.
- On a lightly floured work surface, press and knead dough quickly 3 or 4 times, until smooth and uniform. Separate dough into 2 equal-size balls. With a rolling pin, flatten dough balls into 6-inch circles and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or until ready to use.
- Make filling: In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of blueberries with sugar and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir constantly, over low heat, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Pour into a large bowl and stir in cinnamon and margarine. Add remaining 3 cups of blueberries and stir gently. Set aside and let cool.
- Make pie: Set oven racks at the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out bottom crust and arrange in a 9-inch pie pan. Pour cooled filling into bottom crust. Roll remaining dough into a rectangle and, with a fluted pastry wheel, cut into 8 small strips. Weave strips, 4 in each direction, overlapping each other, and cut off excess. Crimp overhanging dough decoratively.
- Place pie in oven on the lower rack and reduce temperature to 375°. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and filling is bubbling gently. If top crust has not colored sufficiently, move pie to upper rack for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cool pie on a rack.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2014 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010